Best Pole Climbing Boots at a Glance
If you are a lineman, you probably know how important it is to find the best pole climbing boots to wear at work? If you are new to this profession, it is a good idea to find out which features you need to look for when choosing the best boots for the lineman profession.
We have tested and reviewed a number of different variants for you, and have made our decision for the top choice for best boots to buy if you work as a lineman, to make your decision easier for you. We have prepared short reviews of our top picks.
Our Top Lineman Boot Reviews
La Sportiva Makalu – the Sportiva Boots for Linemen
These great Makalu boots make it into our top picks for pole climbing boots list because they incorporate all of the characteristics we have been looking for when searching for the best boots for lineman, including:
- A water repellent and yet fully breathable leather upper
- Durable, burly high quality leather upper
- A full steel shank which allows for automatic crampon for excellent traction when climbing
- The lining is moisture wicking and helps keep the feet comfortable, dry and cool at all times
- Effortless and quick lacing with the steel roller ball lace eyelets
- An air cushioned midsole with a flexible heel grid providing extra comfort
- Nice price for the quality and durability offered
These boots offer excellent traction, they are durable and waterproof. Yet they are breathable and have an excellent moisture wicking system to keep the feet comfortable and dry in all kinds of weather. They provide great cushioning and still are lightweight. They are definitely a great choice for pole climbers who need appropriate work boots. Keep in mind, that they tend to run a little small, so either try them out first, or if ordering – order ½ size bigger.
Danner Lineman Boots – Quarry Logger GTX
Another top pick, these boots by Danner have all the necessary characteristics to make it into our list of great boots for climbing poles. Here is what we liked the most:
- The 10” durable full grain leather upper, which provides support and features the classic stitch down build by Danner
- The 100% waterproof lineman boots
and yet breathable GORE-TEX liner
- The Vibram Logger outsole which has a lug design, serious edging capabilities and providing excellent traction
- The comfortable footbed designed to fight fatigue and keep the feet well all day long
- The comfortable midsole made from Polyurethane
- Fast and easy lacing system
- Require very little break-in time
Their high quality, the superior durability, excellent traction, the fact that they are absolutely waterproof and comfortable makes these logging boots a pair which every pole climber should keep in mind when shopping for safe and comfortable work boots.
Wesco Highliner 16″ Work Boot Black 9716100
We simply love these boots from Wesco. They are designed specifically for pole climbers, so of course they have all the characteristics we were looking for when shopping for a pair of tower climbing boots.
Here is what we like about them:
- Very high quality and made in the USA
- They are fully water resistant
- Amazing support of the durable, 16” full grain leather upper
- The Vibram lug sole
- The fact that the leather is oil tanned for easy break in and further comfort
- The steel shanks, metal heel breastplates and side plates for support and superb traction when climbing
- Solid brass eyelets and studs for durable and easy lacing
- Sweat resistant insoles from leather
- The added comfort of the midsole
These US made lineman boots are just perfect for the job of providing safety, stability, comfort and durability. The price may be on the higher end, but the quality is absolutely impeccable
White’s Boots Men’s 400VLTT Smoke Jumper Lace To Toe Boot
Although they were originally designed and made especially to meet the requirements for protective footwear for forest and wild land firefighters, these sturdy shoes are also perfect for linemen too. This is why we recommend them strongly:
- High quality, made in the USA
- They are fully water resistant, heat resistant and oil resistant
- The oil tanned high quality, hand sewn leather upper
- The Vibram lug outsoles provide excellent traction and are completely slip-resistant
- They are extremely sturdy, and even better – they are rebuildable. This means you can wear them for decades and decades to come
- The excellent support of the feet and arches
Overall, these firefighting boots are the perfect work boots for any lineman as well. Sturdy, durable, comfortable, water resistant, slip resistant and completely rebuildable, they are definitely worth every cent.
HOFFMAN BOOTS Men’s 600 All Leather Powerline
These boots by Hoffman are also especially designed and made for pole climbing linemen, which is why they have all necessary characteristics for being a top suitable choice for people in this profession. Here are some of these features:
- The upper is from durable leather
- They feature the special Hoffman dual steel shank system for better traction and support while climbing poles
- They have a water resistant liner
- They are available in different widths
- They have an extra midsole for further support
- The sole is Vibram and fully rebuildable
These Hoffman boots will serve you faithfully and for a long time. You will be safe from slipping while climbing poles. Your feet will remain dry and cool at all times, and you will be provided with the support and comfort necessary for doing your job properly without worrying about any soreness, numbness or other uncomfortable condition of your feet.
HOFFMAN BOOTS Men’s 10″ EH Composite Toe Powerline
Another pair of work boots by Hoffman makes it into our top picks. This model too is very suitable for linemen. Here is exactly what we like about them:
- They are light and breathable due to the leather and cordura upper
- They feature the Dual steel shanks for amazing climbing support by Hoffman
- They have a water resistant liner
- They are EH rated and have a composite safety toe which meets the standards
Overall, you will feel comfortable in these boots at all times. Their construction and the materials they are made of guarantee that your feet will stay dry at all times. They are comfortable and lightweight, yet they are high quality, durable work boots. The special Hoffman dual steel shanks will keep you safe while climbing up and down those poles.
Pull on lineman boots by HOFFMAN BOOTS
The Steel Toe Roper Lineman boots are yet another pair of perfect boots for people who work in the lineman business.
- The leather and cordura upper ensures that they are light and breathable
- They are fitted with Hoffman’s Dual steel shanks for incredible climbing support by Hoffman
- They have a water resistant liner
- They are slip ons – easy to slip on and off
If you prefer pull up work boots, then this pair is just right for you. It provides the safety, traction, durability and water resistance required for lineman shoes.
What characteristics to look for in a good lineman climbing boot
The most important characteristics for pole climbing boots are:
- They must be water resistant, so that you can work in all weather conditions.
- They need to have high quality outsoles with great traction and slip-resistance for safe and easy pole climbing
- Durability – choose boots which are of higher quality and will last longer and are rebuildable
- Comfort – remember, you will be wearing these boots, climbing and performing other risky and strenuous tasks for long hours wearing these boots, so comfort is crucial
- Price – this depends on your budget, but try to think about making a bigger investment and getting something of a higher quality, which will not only keep you dry and safe, but will last you longer.