Spending time in the nature can be very enjoyable and relaxing. It can also be dangerous, if you aren’t properly equipped for it. Whether you go out into the woods for hunting, mushroom or plant gathering, or you just enjoy hiking, you must have the proper equipment with you. Starting with adequate boots.
Most snakes are actually timid, and will try to avoid conflict whenever possible. But since they usually hide on the ground, under the leaves or broken tree branches, you can accidentally stumble upon them pretty easily. In these situations, they will attack instinctively. If you aren’t wearing snake proof boots, their fangs will penetrate your shoes and your skin as well.
In order to keep you safe from these nasty bites, we have prepared a list of best snake proof boots. Just pick out one of them and you’ll be protected from snake bites when roaming around in the wilderness.
Who needs snake bite proof boots?
If you like to go out and enjoy wild nature, you need them. Especially if you have to be in an area where snakes are known to roam. Two main groups of people opt to buy these kind of boots. First group consists of those who have work careers that require them to be out in the wilderness. Loggers or outdoor construction workers, park rangers, herbalists, and even farmers are just some of them.
The second group consists of people who enjoy certain hobbies that require them to be out in the wild. Hunting, mountain climbing, hiking, camping and scouting can be very dangerous without the proper footwear.
Types of snake proof boots
Before you decide which snake proof boots to buy, you must know what types of snake bite proof boots are out there. There are a couple of different categories of snake proof boots, so let’s have a look at them and their differences.
Lace up vs pull on vs zip up
First up is the design. There are three different types of snake proof boots in this category. Pull on type of boots also called slip on snake boots allow you to put your boots on or take them off very quickly. But it doesn’t fit as snuggly as the other two, which means that theoretically, snakes could get into your boots through the shaft.
Second type which are lace up snake boots, can’t be put on as fast. However, you can tighten them better and make them fit your legs ideally. They won’t fall off while you’re going through deep mud or while you’re running. After a while though, you will need to change the laces, when the original ones get too worn out.
Last type is the zip up. These boots are something between the other two types. You can put them on and take them off quite fast. They also stick close to your legs enough to prevent snakes from entering them. But the zipper can malfunction, and replacing it isn’t easy.
Waterproof, insulated, rubber or safety toe
Second category contains a few types of anti snake bite boots that differ from each other by the area and the environment they are designed for. Waterproof snake boots are for people who wear them in humid or rainy locations where snakes live. These boots prevent any moisture from getting inside them while letting the moisture exit them. Insulated snake bite proof boots are ideal for very cold environments. They are also good at protecting your feet from the fangs of more dangerous snakes.
Walking through swamps or over a muddy terrain requires you to wear rubber snake bite proof boots. These boots are usually tougher than others, which means they also provide better protection. Lastly, safety toe snake proof boots are designed specifically for construction workers who work in areas infested with snakes. Loggers and lumberjacks also prefer to wear these models due to their work hazards.
Depending on snake species
Last categorization is by the level of protection the boots offer. Any kind of snake proof boots will protect you from most snakes. But snakes like copperheads and rattlesnakes require special boots that can stop their fangs and venom. So if you’re about to go into an area that is known to be inhabited by these snakes, search for boots that are advertised as copperhead snake boots and rattlesnake proof boots.
What to look for in a pair of boots for snake protection?
There are a couple of important features that snake protection boots should have.
- Coverage is number one on the list of priorities. Snakes can leap in order to bite you, and they can easily reach up to your knees when they do so. That is why your boots must reach that far as well. The shaft has to be long enough to cover your entire calves in order to protect them.
- Closure – Next, they must have good closure. If they are sealed of properly, snakes won’t be able to get inside of them while you’re wearing them. In other words, they must be a good fit for you.
- Materials – Your new snake proof boots must be made from tough and durable, yet flexible and comfortable materials. The exterior material must be strong enough to stop snake fangs from penetrating it. The interior must be cushioned so that you can wear them for a long time without getting blisters or feeling pain in your feet.
- Good air circulation. Air must be able to go in and out of them and flow freely. Moisture has to be able to leave their interior but not enter it from the outside.
- Proper fit – this should go without saying, but a good fit is a must. If you are spending hours on your feet, you don’t want to deal with additional discomfort caused by improper fit.
Now that we have covered all the basic information about snake proof boots, let’s take a look at a list of top rated snake boots on the market.
Reviews of the best snake resistant boots
Best overall and most comfortable snake boots for men
No products found.
- Ideal for hunters who roam around looking for prey in snake territory. Thick rubber exterior protects your feet even from rattlesnake bites. The manufacturer tested these boots against more than a dozen diamond rattlesnake bites. None of them penetrated the balloon positioned inside the boots during testing.
- Interior is lined with neoprene which, together with EVA insoles guarantees comfort and support even during very long hunting or hiking sessions. They are great pick for everyone who thinks comfortable work footwear is a must. Antibacterial technology keeps your boots odor free and dry at all times, while a special sock lining reduces heat build up.
- Rubber soles ensure your stability on slippery or uneven terrain.
- Pull on design lets you put on or take off these boots very quickly.
- Waterproof membrane keeps the moisture from entering the boots yet it allows it to leave them.
Women’s snake proof boots
- The exterior is made from a combination of synthetic fabric and genuine leather, ensuring your safety in case a snake tries to bite your legs through the boots. Thorns and sharp tree branches also won’t be able to harm you through these boots.
- Lace up design with speed lacing technology ensures that the boots will grasp your legs firmly and prevent any snakes from entering them. You can freely climb or run without worrying if they’ll fall off accidentally.
- These boots are completely waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about stepping in some puddles or being caught in a downpour.
- Special interior technology allows moisture to exit the boots and keeps their insides dry and odorless.
- Rubber soles provide stability on slippery or uneven surfaces like rocks, grass, tree trunks and moss.
Why snake proof boots specifically for ladies? Women typically have a narrower heel and taller arch than a man. So a boot that is billed as suitable for women should be designed in a way that reflects these characteristics. This is the reason you should specifically look for women’s work boots rather than simply choosing a smaller sized men’s boot.
Best Snake Hunting Boots for Hot Weather
- With an upper layer made from a combination of denim nylon and genuine leather, these boots can withstand serious punishment without getting damaged. Water can’t penetrate the outer layer, and air can circulate through it to keep your feet refreshed and cool.
- Interior lining features a special technology that absorbs sweat and evaporates it quickly, keeping your feet dry at any temperature. Moisture can exit the boots easily but it cannot enter them.
- A special flexible snake protection fabric is placed between the interior and exterior of the boots and ensures that snake fangs won’t reach your feet if a snake attempts to bite you. This protective barrier goes along the entire length of the boots, from the top of the shaft down to your toes.
- The lace up system is designed to tighten the entire boots with just one tug, which reduces the time you need to put them on.
- Rubber sole prevents you from accidentally slipping or losing grip on the surface where you’re standing.
Waterproof snake proof boots
Extremely wet areas call for extremely waterproof boots, right?
- With an outer layer made from a mixture of textile and leather, and a special snake protection material that covers the entire boots, you don’t have to worry when you see a snake charging at your feet. Very high seventeen inch shaft will ward away jumping snakes as well and protect your calves completely.
- These boots are almost hermetically sealed once you put them on. Water and moisture cannot enter them and thanks to the special coating they feature, they won’t get stained by liquids or damaged by sunlight. Bloodborne pathogen protection means that you’re basically wearing mini hazmat suits on your legs.
- Interior features polyurethane cushioning and EVA midsoles that provide great shock absorption and reduce fatigue even during long walking sessions. Double density footbeds are very comfortable and fully removable. These boots allow air to circulate well and moisture to exit them promptly, keeping your feet dry in all conditions.
- Zip up style design allows you to put on or take off these boots in a few seconds. The zipper goes along from the soles to the top of the shaft so putting on these boots is no more difficult than putting on slippers.
- Special rubber outsole with a rugged lug and a gripping pad will ensure you have good stability and footing on all kinds of surfaces, slippery, uneven, oily or steep.
Pull on snake boots
- Pull on design evolved with these boots. With a special technology they possess, you get to pull them on easily and quickly, and then tighten them up by just turning a dial. When you want to take them off, just turn the dial back and they’ll loosen, allowing you to pull them off your feet.
- From the tip of your toes to the top of the sixteen inch tall shaft, these boots are completely resistant to snake bites. They are also resistant to tearing or scratching from sharp branches or thorns.
- Waterproof membrane keeps moisture from getting into your boots while letting it exit them in order to keep your feet dry.
- Comfortable footbed can be removed entirely so that you may wash them when needed.
- A fiberglass shank and a slip resistant outsole that provides good traction will keep you stable on your feet no matter what kind of terrain you’re stepping on.
Cheap snake proof boots
- With an extremely high shaft of eighteen inches and an exterior double layer of tough, thick rubbers, these boots keep your feet properly protected from snake bites. Toes and heels are reinforced with a multiple layer rubber to keep them protected from impact.
- Exterior rubber is scent free and waterproof. It’s also resistant to scratches and cuts, as well as ozone and abrasion.
- Pull on design allows you to quickly put these boots on and top straps ensures a tight fit that prevents snakes from entering through the shaft.
- Rubber outsoles, ankle support, and fiberglass shanks ensure stability on any terrain.
- EVA technology cushions absorb shock and reduce fatigue during prolonged outdoor activities
Reviews of snake proof chaps and gaiters
If you already own boots that can protect you from snake bites, but their shaft is short, consider getting snake proof chaps and gaiters. They cover your entire legs, or the parts from the knees down, protecting you from sharp objects in the wilderness, as well as venomous snake bites. Here are a few of the best models on the market.
Snake proof gaiters
- Camouflage pattern allows you to conceal yourself in forest areas.
- Belt straps let you tighten up the gaiters to fit your legs and stop snakes from entering your boots.
- Tough fabric exterior protects your legs from sharp thorns and venomous snake bites.
Snake bite shield guards
- Pattern of the shin guards provides good camouflage in areas with a lot of trees and bushes.
- Adjustable belts secure the guards to your legs.
- Tough fabric exterior protects your front legs from thorns and defensive snake bites.
Snake proof chaps
- Made from a strong yet breathable fabric, these chaps protect you from rattlesnake, copperhead, cottonmouth and viper bites. With their sixteen inch length, they keep you legs safe even if a snake jumps up to bite you.
- This model is the lightest one on the market. The material is durable but flexible enough not to restrict your movement.
- These chaps are completely waterproof and windproof, which means you can use them in any weather.
FAQ about snake proof boots
Now it’s time to answer some frequently asked questions related to snakes and snake proof boots.
- Are Snake Proof Boots Effective? Do snake boots work?
Yes, without a doubt. If you get the right model, they certainly work. Although no manufacturer can guarantee 100% effectiveness, wearing adequate boots is part of the basic snake safety recommendations. Just make sure to buy rattlesnake proof boots or copperhead bite proof models if you plan on roaming around in their territory. They have stronger and bigger fangs that can only be stopped by proper protection
- Can snakes bite through boots?
If the boots aren’t snake proof, then yes. Smaller snakes might not penetrate leather boots or safety boots, but why risk it? They can’t bite through snake proof boots though.
- How often should I replace my snake proof boots?
It depends. Simply put, replace them once they become worn out, just like any other footwear. If you wear them often, they’ll get worn out faster. If snakes try to bite them over and over, they might eventually penetrate the protective layer. When you notice some punctures or holes on them, it’s time to get yourself a pair of new boots.
- Why do snakes bite people?
Believe it or not, they don’t want to eat you. Most snakes just try to run away when they feel threatened. More aggressive ones will attack, but only when they feel endangered. People accidentally stumble upon snakes and then snakes bite them out of fear while trying to defend themselves. If you notice a snake, just let it be and walk around it and you’ll be fine.
- Will snakes try to enter my boots?
If you leave your boots where snakes can reach them, probably yes. Check your boots for snakes before putting them on if you like to leave them outside your house. Also – recommendations to avoid snake bites stipulate that you shouldn’t place your clothing or boots near rubbish, rock piles, cave entrances or swamp areas