Best carpenter boots at a glance
If you work as a carpenter, or practice carpentry work at home, you probably know how important having comfortable and durable work boots which offer reliable toe protection is. You are building useful things and carrying heavy weight objects around the workshop all day long, every single day. All you need is to focus on your job, and do it well. The last thing you need is to think about your sore feet, uncomfortable footwear or get hit by a falling heavy object.
That is why getting the best carpenter work boots is extremely important. First, your feet won’t get hurt – safety should be your top priority in the wood shop. Second, wearing comfortable boots will let you forget about the footwear the moment you put it on and you will be free to focus on the most important thing – your carpentry work.
We have carefully reviewed a large number of boots in order to pick out our top six favorites for the best carpenters boots list, to make life easier on you.
Our top carpenter boots reviews
Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger 6″ Boot
The Iron Ranger boots from Red Wing are classic US made work boots, often a top choice for people in carpentry and similar jobs. We like these boots and recommend them as one of the most suitable boots for carpenters because of the following features they have:
- Excellent durability. They were originally constructed and handcrafted for iron miners, so the durability of the Goodyear welt, stitch down construction and the high quality materials is great.
- The spacy, double leather safety toe box and steel shank
- The durable, non-marking and oil resistant nitrile cork outsole
- The oil tanned, amber harness leather which is water, sweat and stain resistant
- Easy to lace up nickel eyelets and lacing hooks
- Very comfortable, although they need some break in time
- Made in the USA
Overall, these classic and beautiful lace-up boots from Red Wings are a perfect choice for carpenters and other people who need boots that provide toe safety, comfort and durability.
Timberland PRO Men’s Pitboss 6″ Steel Toe Boot
These Pro Pit boss boots from Timberland are boots which have it all when it comes to suitable shoes for carpenters. These are the characteristics which we find the most compelling in these boots:
- They have that strong steel toe which makes them perfect and safe for carpenters
- The shock absorbing polyurethane midsole features a Timberland Pro comfort suspension system which makes them comfortable to wear all day and reduces fatigue in the feet and legs even after a long work day
- The outsole is oil, abrasion and slip resistant
- The comfortable and supportive padded collar
- The moisture wicking and odor control properties of the lining, which keeps the feet dry and cool
- The high quality nubuck leather and the Goodyear welt construction are guarantees for superior durability
- Metal top hooks for added durability
All in all, these boots have all he crucial features for carpenters and other people who work with heavy instruments and are on their feet all day long. They are durable, very comfortable, reduce fatigue, support the arches and have reliable and strong toe protection.
Thorogood Men’s American Heritage 804-4200 6 Inch Steel Toe boot
The American Heritage work boots are another of our favorites for work boots for woodworkers. They too are a perfect combination of all the features we were looking for when searching for the most comfortable work boots for the job. These are:
- The tough tobacco oil tanned leather and other manly and sturdy materials ensure their durability
- They are tough and yet lightweight and flexible, allowing the person wearing them to move and bend easily
- They feature perfect shock absorption and cushioning provided by the removable Poron 4000 dual layer footbeds
- The durable and slip resistant Vibram outsoles
- The sturdy Goodyear storm welt construction which is a guarantee that these boots will last for a long time
- The strong fiberglass shank, and the strong steel safety toe
- In addition they are also heat, abrasion and electrical hazard resistant
As you can see from the abovementioned features, these amazing boots from Thorogood are an excellent choice for artisans, because they are extremely durable, provide the ultimate cushioning and shock absorption, and also have a strong steel toe cap. Plus they offer: slip, abrasion, EH and heat protection.
Irish Setter Men’s 83601 6″ Work Boot
Although these boots are soft toe, they still meet ASTM F2892-11, EH safety. The Irish Setter 83601 boots make it into our top best boots for woodworkers because they have:
- A high quality leather upper which is 100% waterproof and very durable
- The UltraDry technology which combines the waterproofness of the leather with the moisture wicking properties of the lining
- The solid direct attach welt construction which guarantees that these boots will serve you for a long time
- The comfortable and supportive padded collar and tongue
- The brass hardware lacing system
- The soft cushioned and shock absorbing removable polyurethane midsole
- The double density comfort track outsole made from durable, slip resistant rubber
- Abrasion-resistant toe box
In conclusion, we must say that even though these boots do not have a steel or other safety cap, they do offer sufficient protection, and are especially suitable for carpenters who work in wet conditions or outdoors, because they will keep the feet dry at all times – rain or shine.
Also, they are very comfortable, shock resistant and durable, which are the main features we were looking for.
KEEN Utility Men’s Pittsburgh Steel Toe Work Boot
These Australian made work boots have found their place among our top picks for boots for cabinetmakers, mainly because of the following characteristics they have:
- Sturdy, all-terrain, comfortable shoes
- The strong steel toe cap for protection
- The elastic sides which make them comfortable and easy to slip on and off
- The durable, high quality 3 piece leather upper
- Very light dual layer Urethane layer midsole which offers superb shock absorption, energy return and comfort, as well as overall reduction of the weight of these boots
- The additional support and comfort provided by the triple-layered heel
- The modern molded outsole which is weather, lubricant and fuel resistant, and its durability and resistance to abrasion an, wear and tear
- The memory foam footbed which provides excellent cushioning and comfort and also keeps the temperature of the feet normal even in extreme weather
These very comfortable, durable, shock absorbing all-terrain boots have sufficient toe and other foot protection, and their temperature regulating properties make them especially suitable for wood workers who work in extreme temperatures.
Danner Men’s Instigator 6 Inch GTX Outdoor Boot
These are hiking boots, but most of their characteristics are also quite suitable for people in the wood working business. Here is what we liked the most about these boots:
- The proven top quality and craftsmanship of Danner
- They are GORE-TEX – 100% waterproof and at the same time breathable for ultimate foot comfort in all weather conditions
- TERRA FORCE X midsole platform provides superior side and arch support, excellent energy transfer and is very lightweight
- The toe cap is scuff proof and strong
- The TFX outsole provides excellent traction and yet its beveled lugs help prevent the buildup of mud and debris
- The TPU shank
The GTX Outdoor boots are not the typical carpenter boot. They are more athletic-like, but are actually very durable, sturdy and stable, and at the same time are lightweight and perfectly cushioned. They do not have a steel toe cap, but do have sufficient toe protection via the scuff proof toe cap. They are suitable for people who work in wet conditions, because the GORE-TEX technology ensures that your feet will stay dry and comfortable at all times. Lightweight and very comfortable, if you do not work with very heavy machinery, these boots are perfect for you.
Redback Safety Bobcat USBOK Elastic Sided Steel Toe Leather Work Boot
These popular safety boots are Australian made but are worn around the world by men and women who want comfortable, affordable and high quality boots for work or to wear every day.
The trademark air cushioned soles provide superb cushioning, comfort and shock absorption. The specially designed profiles of the soles are an excellent option for those of you looking for boots which will help reduce foot fatigue, and help with back and leg aches and problems. The soles are slip resistant on just about any surface which makes the boots great for all kinds of slippery conditions at work or outdoors.
Are these the only reasons why we picked them as one of our best carpenter boots? Hell, no! The highest quality oiled kip leather uppers of the Redback Safety Bobcat USBOK are constructed from three pieces of durable leather which is thicker and about 20% stronger than that used in most other work boots. They are not only great looking but they add to the comfortable fit and are likely to endure for long. The fact that they are slip-on and the comfortable elastic bands on the sides will make putting them on and taking them off easier and will help keep your feet comfortable at all times.
They are built with a durable and very strong cement construction. If you take proper, regular care to clean and condition them, these boots will last you a long time!
The boots from Redback are fitted with steel toes to keep your toes protected for falling or rolling heavy objects at work or at all times. They also provide amazing and reliable foot stability and arch support to keep you pain free and injury free even after long hours of work.
Overall, these boots will suit both men and women well, and people of all ages can wear them and not only look but feel great with such a comfortable, well-made and good looking pair of boots.
The sizing is as expected, so opt for your normal boot size when ordering them but of course refer to the sizing chart to convert your size from the standard Australian sizing.
What are the characteristics of the good boots for carpenters
Being a carpenter is both highly satisfying and extremely dangerous job. The number and variety of accidents reported by OSHA is enormous. Falling from scaffold, table saw, power saw and cutting boards injuries, leg fractures from falling framing workers are just few of the accidents that might and do happen. I know from first hand experience that it sucks to be part of such a sad statistic.
Craftsmen are usually very skilled at woodworking and typically know well their tools, but the dangers of working with wood are numerable.
Prevention is the key to reducing the number of accidents and so is getting the best carpenter boots to protect the feet. Let me offer you a few tips what are the most important features of the best work boots for carpenters, that are a must when shopping for a new pair of work boots:
- Toe protection. Do you know that your carpentry workshop can be a dangerous place? Everything could fall onto your feet. Your shoes must provide sufficient protection from falling wood parts and instruments. It is a good idea to look for steel toe capped boots, especially if you work with heavier instruments and wood pieces.
- Naturally, as a woodworker you are more likely to be spending long hours standing and walking around. This is why, finding comfortable boots is crucial. It is a good idea to get work boots which provide good cushioning, shock absorption and energy return, especially if you tend to walk a lot.
- The more durable the boots are, the better investment you will be making when buying them.
- Good outsoles that offer sufficient traction – because noone wants to slip, fall and broke a bone while walking around on the saw dust and wood chips. The reality is that we can’t clean the floors immediately and constantly, so dust and debris increase the likelihood of slippage. Increasing friction with good outsoles greatly reduces the likelihood of slipping and falling.
- Budget. Think about investing in higher quality, more durable and comfortable carpenter boots which may cost more, but will be a better investment in the long run.