Working on an oilfield is definitely not an easy job. You need to cope with the various weather conditions, and the various possible hazards on the job, such as slippery surfaces, falling heavy objects, water, etc. This is why it is crucial to find the best protective gear, including the best oilfield boots.
The safety feature of your boots must be tested and reliable. At the same time, it is crucial that you pick boots which are comfortable and will allow you to perform this difficult job without getting blisters. Sore feet, wet feet or other problems which will make your days at the oilfield miserable and which can definitely affect your on-site work efficiency as a whole. Taking the time to choose the best boots and to break them in properly will make your work much safer and easier in the long run.
We have chosen several pairs of boots which we consider the best for this particular job.
Durable, Tough and Simply the Best Oil field Boots – Reviews
Wolverine Men’s Drillbit Work Boot
These pull on boots from Wolverine have made it into our top list for best steel toe boots for oil field workers, because they feature all the characteristics we were looking for, including:
- Oil, chemical, abrasion, gas and slip resistant outsoles
- Removable comfortable and shock absorbing polyurethane insole
- Protective steel toe safety rated and electrical hazard rated
- Waterproof and durable Cordura leather upper
- Strong direct attach welt construction
- Easy to pull on and off
We can easily say that these (or the Red Wing WORX boots) encompass all the characteristics needed for oilfield boots. They offer slip, oil and chemical protection. Their steel toe will keep your toes safe. The durable construction and materials will ensure that you can wear them for a long time. Plus, they offer excellent shock absorption and are easy to pull on in the morning and then slip-off after a long day at work.
Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger 6″ Boot
The lace-up Iron Ranger boots are another pair from Red Wing, which we have picked in our top best list of boots for oilfields. This is why:
- The high quality, durable stitch down Goodyear welt construction
- Oil resistant and slip resistant nitrile cork outsole
- The high quality, waterproof leather upper
- The capped toe and steel shank
These sturdy boots from Red Wing are a great choice for people who work on oilfields, because they are durable, waterproof, slip and oil resistant, they provide comfort and stability, and will keep your feet safe and comfortable all day long.
Danner Men’s Super Rain Forest 200 Gram Work Boot Boot
These are definitely one of our favorite winter oil rig boots. They have the following amazing features:
- Full grain durable and waterproof leather upper
- Completely waterproof and insulated boots suitable for winter conditions – with Thinsulate insulation and breathable GORE-TEX liners
- There is double thick leather in the places where most injuries can occur
- They are chemical resistant
- They have a comfortable EVA midsole
- A durable and slip resistant Vibram outsole
- A sturdy stitch down construction
- Made in the USA
These boots are definitely tough and durable boots. They will help keep your feet protected from injuries, from water, from chemicals, from sweating and from soreness. The Super Rain Forest footwear is a perfect choice for all of you who work in oilfields.
Danner Men’s Super Rain Forest Uninsulated Work
This pair is very similar to the above, with the exception that they are not insulated. We especially love the fact that they are all American Made.
They are completely waterproof due to the double thick leather which was used for the uppers. They are not only resistant to chemicals, but the Vibram sole will help you avoid dangerous slipping while working or walking around the rig.
The manufacturer knows how long and tiring the work shifts are, so they thought about the comfort, too. The EVA midsole is inserted to help fight the soreness and fatigue at the end of the day.
Don’t just blindly trust us. Check out what the other fellow workers are saying:
Georgia Boot Men’s Muddog Work Boot
The Muddog pull on boots are a superb choice for people who work on oilfields, oil refinery or in other harsh outdoor conditions, mainly because of the following characteristics:
- Molded and completely waterproof
- Durable and tough full grain leather upper
- Moisture wicking and breathable lining to keep the feet dry and comfortable
- A comfortable orthotic footbed
- Oil resistant, slip-resistant , replaceable and repairable outsole
- Pull on type so you can just slip them on of off, without having to deal with laces
These are definitely the boots to have if you spend a lot of time in muddy and wet conditions. They provide excellent comfort, cushioning, and keep the feet cool and dry even after hours of strenuous work. They are durable and of high quality, so they are a great choice if you are looking for the right oilfield boots for yourself.
MuckBoots Adult Chore Steel Toe Boot
Another pair of pull on wellington boots which we highly recommend for oil and gas workers, these Muckboots are exceptionally suitable because of the following:
- 100% waterproof
- Steel safety toe plus triple rubber reinforcement for added protection, and quadruple rubber reinforcement for the heel
- A stability steel shank for added support and for puncture resistance
- Breathable air mesh lining to keep the feet dry and cool
- Light weight and yet offering heavy-duty protection
- Removable and comfortable sockliner
These boots are definitely great for people who work outdoors in harsh weather conditions, such as oilfields. They are comfortable, provide safety for the toes and feet, they are waterproof and yet breathable. If you choose this pair, you will not regret the choice because they will serve you for years to come.
Choosing the best oil field boots for your specific job
Typically, the organization of a drilling rig will include the following types of job positions: a Rig Manager, Derickhands, Drillers, Motormen and Roughnecks. Depending on your specific job and your work requirement at the oil field, choosing the greatest and most suitable oilfield boots is essential in order to ensure that you work as efficiently as possible, and that you stay safe and comfortable at the same time. Here are some tips regarding how to choose good boots for each job position at a typical oilfield:
For Roustabouts (floorhands) the recommended work boots are those which have both safety toes as well as metatarsal guards, due to the higher risk of toe or foot injuries on the site due to the heavy metal instruments used for this particular job. Other oilfield jobs may not require such extensive toe and metatarsal protection, but for this one – you should strongly consider getting this type of work boots.
For the Derrick hand job position which involves a lot of drill guiding, drill monitoring, jam unjamming and other serious physical tasks with heavy instruments, work boots which have sufficient toe and metatarsal protection are also highly recommended.
If you are a MWD field engineer you should consider wearing oilfield boots which provide ultimate comfort due to the fact that this job position requires long working hours of standing and walking around while doing all necessary measurements, monitoring and other tasks for controlling all the pre-drilling, drilling and post-drilling performed on the site.
Overall, if you are an oilfield worker, the choice of appropriate footwear could make a difference between safety and injury and in some cases even between life and death. The numerous hazards on the job require that you take all essential measures to remain safe and to perform your job properly day after day without risk of getting injured while at it.
Features of the best oilfield work boots
When picking the best footwear for oilfield work, you need to pay attention to the following features:
- Always choose comfortable footwear, especially when you will be spending hours and hours wearing them and working.
- It is essential to choose a pair which is waterproof if you work outdoors in bad weather. Keeping your feet dry and comfortable is crucial for your performance and comfort.
- Safety toe. It is a good idea to get shoes which provide sufficient protection to the toes and feet, such as puncture resistance.
- Slip and oil resistance. To avoid slipping and injuring yourself on the job, look for boots which have outsoles with reliable traction.
- Always think about buying appropriate work boots as a serious and long term investment. Our advice is – spend a few more bucks, but get higher quality and more durable boots.