Types: Academy police boots and Duty (patrol) police boots
Training or already working to protect and serve the country? To do an even better job, you know how important it is to be wearing the proper comfortable and safe clothing footwear and gear. If you are wondering what type of police boots are the most suitable ones for you, here is a short overview of the differences between the various types as well as our reviews of the top boots for people working in the police force.
The two main types of police boots are for the academy and on patrol (duty) police footwear.
While usually your specific uniform regulations will include a recommendation or requirement for the proper boots to wear when training or when on duty, but then again if you receive not so specific requirements for the proper police footwear, here are some guidelines on what to be looking for.
Characteristics to look for in the most comfortable police boots
The main characteristics to look for when choosing the best police boots are: comfort, stability for the feet and ankles, good traction of the outsoles for slip resistance and performance enhancement, a nice fit, durable materials and make, easy and strong lacing up or zipper system, presentability, shock absorption, cushioning, water resistance, breathability and odor control.
- If you are looking for suitable police academy boots, the most important aspect probably is to choose boots which will easily pass the inspections. In other words, the appearance of your footwear is very important, as well as the ease of maintenance. You don’t want to spend sleepless nights polishing your footwear after all. Choosing footwear which look presentable and have easy to polish and shine toes and heel caps is the best choice for this type of police boots.
- As for the actual on duty police boots, it is crucial to pick a pair which is comfortable, and which provides sufficient traction and ankle support, due to the fact that you will be spending hours and hours walking and running on the streets and uneven terrains while doing your job.
- With or without zipper
Choosing a pair with zippers is great, because they are easy to pull on and off in case of an emergency. You will save time for lacing and unlacing them. Zippers also allow you to regulate the tightness of your boots once, instead of doing it every time when lacing them.
The cons footwear with zippers can include the fact that your academy or department may not allow them, in some cases the zipper can break and fail, and also, often boots with zippers cannot guarantee that your feet will stay dry in case of rain or walking in wet conditions.
- Lightweight or heavy duty
The best types of duty police boots can be either sneaker type shoes or more like work boots or hiking footwear. Boots are definitely sturdier and provide more support and some of them can be re-soled, while the sneakers are less expensive but less durable, and yet provide comfort and are lighter.
We asked numerous people training or working in the police force about their objective opinions, and we also performed some tests of the best law enforcement boots currently available on the market, and we picked our top 10 favorites for the most comfortable police boots. Here are the reviews of the top boots that passed the criteria:
Reviews of the best duty boots and best boots for police academy
Danner Fort Lewis Waterproof Insulated Law Enforcement Boot (10 Inch 200G )
These winter police boots are among our top picks for best police footwear especially for winter conditions. We highly recommend them because of the following characteristics:
- They are made of high quality, durable full grain leather
- They are fully waterproof and yet breathable due to the GORE-TEX technology
- They are perfect for winter conditions because of their impressive 200 gram Thinsulate insulation
- Their comfortable leather collar provides extra support and comfort
- The durable recraftable stitchdown construction adds to the ankle support and helps minimize foot fatigue. If you need to recraft your boots, just sent them over to their Portland Factory
- These boots provide ultimate comfort, moisture wicking and help improve odor control to keep your feet dry and fresh even after hours on duty or in training
- The insoles are flexible and yet supportive
- Berry Amendment Compliance
- The excellent traction provided by the Vibram cushioning outsole while at the same time reducing fatigue during long, tiresome marches
- The useful speed lace system
Overall, our conclusion is that these Danner police winter boots are an excellent choice, especially if you work in cold and wet conditions. They are well-cushioned, comfortable, provide proper stability to the ankle and foot and are very durable. Fully waterproof, insulated, and yet breathable and with efficient odor control and moisture wicking. We highly recommend them .
Danner men’s Tachyon 8 Black Gtx Duty Boot
We recommend these Talchyon as a great choice for one of the most comfortable police duty boots because they encompass all the characteristics we were looking for when testing and reviewing footwear suitable for academy and on-duty police work. Here is what we like about them:
- The upper is made of high quality, full grain leather combined with a 500 Denier nylon, making them 100% waterproof, fast-drying and very durable, yet lightweight
- The high quality GORE-TEX lining providing superb breathability
- The toe is easily polishable, which is especially suitable for police academy cadets
- The excellent traction provided by the slip resistant and abrasion resistant Danner Tachyon outsoles with pentagonal lugs
- The efficient speed lace fastening system and added brass hardware for a more secure fit
In conclusion, we must say that this pair from Danner are perfect for both academy and on-duty policemen. They are light and yet durable, they provide superb traction to keep you safe at all times, they keep the feet dry and fresh in hot and humid weather, as well as in muddy and wet conditions. They are great for wearing all year around. Durable, comfortable and supportive, these are definitely one of our top favorites in this list.
During our interviews with people in the police force, these were often defined as “unbeatable.” When we tested them, we realized that we have to agree with this definition about the Danner Acadias. Here is what makes these great for people who work in the police force:
- The durable full grain leather which is easily polished
- The famous recraftable stitchdown construction by Danner for added sturdiness and stability
- The GORE-TEX lining making them waterproof and comfortably breathable
- The 1000 Denier nylon upper making them lighter, easy to dry, waterproof and breathable
- The excellent shock absorption and traction provided by the Vibram outsole
- Their overall resistance to wear, tear and scuff marks
- Their secure fit ensured by the reliable lace-to-toe feature
- The strong fiberglass shank
- The cushioning and comfort provided by the orthotic insoles
- The fact that they can re-soled for a small fee which makes them extremely durable
We must say that the Acadias are absolutely worth every cent paid for them. Made in the USA, they are durable, sturdy, easy to clean and polish, 100% waterproof and yet breathable and slip resistant. Although they are slightly heavier than some of the other boots on our list they are definitely a top choice when it comes to both academy and duty footwear.
5.11 Men’s A.T.A.C. Storm 8″ Side Zip Boot
The ATAC Storm zip boot grabbed our attention as one of the most comfortable police shoes due to a number of factors. Here are some of their features which impressed us the most:
- The easy to polish and very durable full grain leather toe box
- The sturdy triple stitch
- The nonmetallic shank for added support and stability
- The comfortable cushioned insole combined with a Phylon midsole
- The Drilex lining which provides moisture wicking and is anti-bacterial
- The synthetic outsole which offers superb traction and shock resistance – they are slip and oil resistant
- The breathable and waterproof 1200 Denier panels on the upper
- The nice hidden pocket on the side
- The fact that they are as comfortable as sneakers and yet are tactical boots
- They require no or very little break in
- The zipper which allows for easy slip on and off, and keeps them comfortably tight
In conclusion we must say that these zipper ATAC are a perfect choice for both academy and on duty police work. They are stable, well cushioned, slip resistant, shock absorbing, breathable, easy to polish and will keep your feet dry, fresh and fatigue free even after a long 12 hour shift.
Bates Durashock 8″
The Durashocks are designed and made to provide the ultimate comfort, speed, performance and durability, which makes them another great choice for most comfortable police boots. Here is what we liked:
- The resoleable stitch out welt construction
- The slip resistant and very durable Goodyear rubber outsole
- The comfortable side zipper completed with a Velcro strap combined with a lace up system for ultimate comfort and a best fit
- The water resistant, durable and abrasion resistant leather and ballistic nylon upper
- The amazing shock absorbing technology
- The 30 day guarantee for comfort they come with
- The water resistance and breathability which will help keep your feet nice and dry
- No break in time required
The fact that there is no glue involved in the making of this model and that the upper is stitched to the rubber outsoles makes these one of the most durable and most comfortable law enforcement boots on the market. The comfort, the trademark shock resistance system, the quality of the leather and nylon, as well as the tested slip resistant rubber outsoles make them one of our top 10 favorite boots for police academy and duty.
Bates GX-8 Boots for Patrol
The GX-8 are another pair by Bates which have made it into our top 10 list for the best police boots, and the following characteristics convinced us that the choice is right:
- They have a high quality full grain leather and synthetic upper which is waterproof and comfortable
- The EVA midsole provides the cushioning and shock resistance people in the police need during their long hours of work
- They are lightweight and yet sturdy and stable
- The rubber outsole is slip resistant and enhances the performance
- The good quality zipper combined with a Velcro strap for added comfort and a great fit
These tactical boots look great, provide ultimate comfort and foot and ankle support, they are water resistant and their rubber soles will ensure that whether you are in a police academy or on duty, you will remain standing safely on your feet, and will be able to move fast and with added precision.
BlackHawk Black Ops Boot
These are a top pick for on duty policemen, who do not necessarily need to shine their tactical boot on a daily basis, as they will not hold a shine. They are extremely durable and rugged, and yet light so that you can do your job without a soreness and fatigue in the feet and legs which heavier boots tend to cause. Here are some of the characteristics of these BlackHawk boots which impressed us the most:
- The speed lace toggle which is easy to use and provides a comfortable grip and fit
- The abrasion resistant Cordura and full grain leather uppers for added durability and water resistance
- The cushioned and durable PU midsole
- The slip resistant and sturdy outsole for enhanced performance and safety in wet conditions
- The comfortable, moisture wicking lining to keep your feet dry
Overall, this pair of Ops is great for anybody in the police force. They are comfortable, stable, extremely durable, easy to lace up and provide an excellent grip and support for the feet and ankles. True, they cannot be hold a shine, but for an on-duty policeman, they are an excellent choice.
Rocky Duty Men’s Modern Paraboot
These Paraboots are a top choice for police academy cadets, as their toes and heels can be shined to perfection, and you will definitely receive a “DI” acceptable shine with them. We have picked them also because they have the following features we have been looking for when testing the best police academy boots:
- The full grain, polishable and water resistant leather uppers with the patent cap toe
- The well cushioned, comfortable and durable EVA footbed
- The slip resistant lugged rubber outsole for enhanced performance and safety on wet and slippery terrains
- The strong Goodyear welt construction
- The comfortable side zipper providing an excellent fit and easy on and off combined with a leather folder tab with buttons for a nice and safe grip
So, if you are looking for duty boots which look smart and can be polished to perfection, as well as provide great comfort, ankle and foot stability, are slip resistant, durable and made of high quality materials offered at an excellent price – these are definitely for you!
Rothco 8” Forced Entry Side Zip Tact Boot
Another pair of polishable police academy boots, these Rothco boots also make it on our list because of their characteristics combined with the affordable price tag. Here are some of the characteristics which we love about these boots:
- The great price for the quality offered
- The high quality full grain and action leather upper and pigskin gusseted leather collar
- The slip resistant outsole
- The easy to use speed lacing which is rust-proof combined with an easy on and off zipper
- The comfortable, moisture wicking lining
- The steel shank for added stability
They look great, they can be shined well, they are durable and comfortable, they will keep you safe when walking or running on slippery surfaces, and your feet will stay comfortable and dry in them even after hours of training or working on duty. This is why we recommend these boots for people in the police force or in the police academy.
Under Armour Men’s UA Speed Freek Bozeman Boots
The Speed Freek bozeman boots are possibly one of the most comfortable duty boots on this list. We definitely recommend them for people who are looking for durable and comfortable police boots. These are some of the features which these boots have which make them perfect for duty boots:
- The high quality, full grain leather uppers with an anatomically molded collar for added support and comfort and water resistance
- The 100% waterproof and moisture wicking GORE-TEX lining to keep your feet dry and comfortable at all times
- The added support and protection provided by the TPU heel cup
- The anti-microbial and anti-fungal sockliner
The Speed Freek boots are perfect for people in the police force who spend hours and hours on duty, often needing to walk and run on uneven terrains, and to work in wet conditions. They are comfortable, supportive, and stable and will keep your feet dry and free of fungus even after long patrol shifts. We definitely recommend these boots as one of the top best boots for police work.
Under Armour Men’s Valsetz Tactical Boot
Another top pick for on-duty police boots, the Valsetz tactical boots have all the features which people on the service need for reliable, comfortable and durable footwear. Here are their main characteristics:
- The uppers are made of combined synthetic leather and textile and are covered with special welded and abrasion resistant film to keep the boots safe from wear and tear.
- The boots are designed and made with an extra comfortable and supportive UA ClutchFit trademark technology for gentle and yet supportive foot and ankle wrapping.
- They have full-length cushioned insoles made of Micro G foam which allow for superb shock absorption as well as a great energy return for cushioned landings and quick and explosive takeoffs for emergency situations.
- Added midfoot support via the light and yet sturdy TPU shanks.
- Durable, low profile rubber lugged outsoles for good traction and added durability.
- A cushioned Ortholite sockliner fitted with a memory foam top for superb all-day comfort.
- TPU toe caps for protection against impact and compression by rolling and falling heavy objects.
- A lifetime limited guarantee by Under Armor.
Overall, these are one of the best duty boots we have found, and would highly recommend them to all on-duty policemen. They are the best boots for police officers because they are durable, safe, have added stability and superb cushioning. They will help keep your feet safe, well and away from fatigue even after the toughest shifts on the streets.
Original S.W.A.T. Men’s Metro Air 9 Inch Side-Zip Tactical Boot
These great looking boots are an excellent option both for police academy cadets as well as on-duty patrol policeman. The sneaker-like fit makes them our top pick for best police boots for running. They have:
- High quality leather uppers and easy to polish leather toe boxes.
- A heel air cell which looks amazing and provides superb comfort and proper shock absorption.
- Added durability due to the 3 ply nylon thread used for the double stitching of the uppers.
- Phylon EVA midsoles which are custom molded and provide contoured, cradle-like support to the heels.
- Non-metal shanks for light and yet reliable, airport-friendly foot support and fatigue reduction.
- Very lightweight, sneaker like fit and require no break-in time, so they can be worn straight out of the box.
- Roomy toe boxes for toe comfort, suitable for people with wide feet.
- Side zippers and Velcro strap for easy pull on and off.
Although they don’t have any safety toe protection, these boots look great and provide an out-of-the box sneaker-like fit. They can be polished easily and will reduce any soreness, fatigue or discomfort in the feet and legs. You can hardly find a more comfortable and well-cushioned pair of patrol and academy boots at such an amazing price at the market!